The Drapac EF p/b Cannondale Holistic Development team are proud to announce that James Whelan will be joining the team roster for the 2018 season.
James comes to Drapac from NRS team Inform MAKE and is a former middle-distance runner. He transferred into cycling only in May in 2016, after a long-term injury hampered his burgeoning running career.
The 21-year-old wasted no time in making an impact in the National Road Series, with an impressive guest ride with Drapac in the 2017 Melbourne to Warrnambool, before coming third on general classification in the 2017 Tour of Tasmania. James then started 2018 off successfully, with a podium in the under-23 National road race, coming 2nd to his now Drapac EF teammate, Cyrus Monk.
“I am so excited to be provided with the opportunity to continue my development as a cyclist and as a student planner alongside Drapac EF Cycling. I would like to thank InForm MAKE for their support and passion over the past few months and to Dr. Stephen Lane (HPTek) for his continued coaching assistance. I am looking forward to the opportunities ahead in 2018”, said Whelan of his move to Drapac EF.
Team owner Michael Drapac sees not just cycling opportunities for James, but also educational pathways through his property funds management business, Drapac Capital Partners. “He enshrines our philosophy perfectly and I’m excited to work with him both on and off the bike”.
James is currently studying a Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning at RMIT and is due to graduate in 2019.
Drapac EF roster for 2018:
- Oliver Kent-Spark – Bachelor of Management. Deakin University.
- Cyrus Monk – Bachelor of Science. The University of Melbourne.
- Liam White – Bachelor of Exercise & Sports Science. Federation University.
- James Pane – Bachelor of Education. Victoria University.
- Theodore Yates – Bachelor of Architecture. Curtin University.
- Thomas Kaesler – Bachelor of Commerce. Adelaide University.
- Jesse Featonby – Master of Teaching. La Trobe University.
- Patrick Burt – Bachelor of Engineering. Monash University.
- Liam Magennis – Bachelor of Environmental Science. Charles Sturt University.
- Sascha Bondarenko – Bachelor of Exercise Science / Bachelor of Business Administration. Australian Catholic University.
- Alexander Smyth – Bachelor of Business/Science. RMIT.
- James Whelan – Bachelor of Urban & Regional Planning. RMIT.